The Mayo Clinic is doing some amazing things in the innovation space, using service design. Mayo has a three year track record for holding an annual Innovation conference that engages the whole organization with social media tools. Features of the gathering that helps spur on energy, creativity and innovation include:
- Diversity, 400 or so executives & thought leaders in diverse disciplines of large enterprise innovation are invited mix & mingle at the conference
- Tools, using new engagement tools in social media, such as SocialText, (described on a business page on Facebook)
- Processes, Fostering "microsharing" - a process using the above two factors, in order to extend creative thinking to the whole organization, 50,000 people
- Engagement, Mayo staffers not at the conference appoint themselves as connectors and advocates of new ideas and innovations to carry ideas forward to further development and possible implementation
- Published, Mayo cited as a case study cited in ~ The New Social Learning, Tony Bingham and Marcia Conner, 2010
Check it out and see what you think:
As for me, I'm including them in my presentation at the local OD Summit this week in Michigan (organization development) with the title: Social Media: Choosing Change Leadership & Strategic Agility over Chaos.
This work by Reveln Consulting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.