What are good questions to ask a prospective coach? I was interviewed by Terry Wisner, BlogTalk radio host recently on the subject.
Note: After the initial ad, you may need to adjust your speakers
I covered the three “Cs” of coaching, also referred to as 3 core competencies of coaching.
These are the coach having the ability to:
- Connect with his or her person being coached
- Clarify (produce clarity) for the coaching client according to HIS or HER definition, intention – NOT the coaches version
- Commit to an action that produce results in line with the client’s overall coaching goals and desired outcome
The three “Cs” are simple to remember, yet they are implemented so differently among coaches.
Here are some basic questions to ask your coach candidates:
- How does your background and training define the type of coaching you offer?
- Why did you choose to become a coach?
- What is your coaching philosophy?
- Describe the results one of your clients has achieved through coaching.
- What’s unique about you as a coach?
- Describe your coaching process.
- Will our sessions be in person or over the phone?
- How frequently will we meet, for how long, and over what duration?
- What do you charge?
- Who is your ideal client?
- How will I measure success in using you as my coach?
- Where can I read more about your approach (if the coach uses a website and/or social media)?
Start with thinking about your relationships with mentors, sport coaches, teachers and friends.
Consider which relationships were most beneficial to your development and why.
Bring this thinking to your decision making when considering leveraging a coach to help you see deeply into your own strengths and capacity to help you maximize your best self.
MANY thanks to Terry ~ a great host!
Thanks for stopping by! Warm regards and perhaps we’ll talk about YOUR success and development soon,
NOTE: This post was updated in 2013 with the addition of photos, International Coaching Week link on Deb’s coaching page and a reference to LinkedIn, as new endorsements have added.