Here’s a sample of tools that clients and I have found useful:
- A sample Open Space Technology handout from the Success Secrets of Trusted Change Advisors session at the global ACMP 2012 session in Las Vegas described here in colorful detail.
- Retreat Planning Sample Flowchart
- RFPs & Price can be Silly in Choosing the Best Consultant or Facilitator for the Job (includes downloadable decision reference)
- Strategic Action: Find your way forward through multiple perspectives with Preferred Futuring (.pdf download)
- (includes Current Situation: What’s Working, What’s Not!)
- The classic (1 page version) 7S Organization Effectiveness Model or McKinsey 7-S by Tom Peters and Robert Waterman ~ A Diagnostic Model for Organizational Effectiveness. Also see Marvin Weisbord’s model.
- Change and Transition: William Bridges Transitions Overview, REVELN
- Checklist, Neutral Zone, Bridges, VUCA (Agile Learning / VUCA – Bob Johansen)
- 2 Change models: Resistance to change - & Managing Complex Change
- Deb’s Pinterest page on Change Leadership is here.
- Deb’s Pinterest page on Systems Thinking is here.
- Deb’s Innovation in Institutions, Will it Blend newsletter is here (on-line link.)
- Deb’s Change Leadership Watch curated newsletter is here (on-line link.)
- Change Management resources are here.
- A Bibliography of book resources for Change (both planned & disruptive), along with Strategy is here.
Social Media, learning resources:
- 3 Crucial Elements to Turn Social into Business LCR (.pdf)
- Deb’s YouTube video channel: Social Media Learning Lab.
- Curated ScoopIt newsletter, Social Media Learning Lab.
- Join our LinkedIn Social Media Learning Lab OPEN group
- The MCG model- Membership, Control, Goal full article (2 pages) is here
- The teamwork Control & Leadership model (relevant to the MCG model below) is here
- Belbin® Team Roles framework is here to clarify team contributions, needs
- The BusinessBalls library of business & org. dev. articles, exercises, templates is here and is relisted in the libraries section below.
- Deb’s Agile Learning curated news is here.
- Deb’s coaching services page is here (executive, leader, transition, change, careers)
- Understanding Extroversion and Introversion (downloadable 1 page tool from Deb)
- Fun: Enjoy a last Fall ride in the country (1 min.) with the Reveln Spyder – “Free Ride” here.
Tools Mix and Match General List:
- Here are 2 Change models: D x V x F > Resistance to change – & managing Complex Change (assess what might be missing in your change/communication planning) by Dr. Mary Lippitt.
- The MCG model - Membership, Control, Goal – why some groups are able to produce a good-to-great results and why others don’t available here (Powerpoint doc.) The full article (2 pages) explaining how MCG works is here.
- Ready, Willing, Able, and Fit (RWAF) Mike Jay coachability assessment – Coaching Readiness.
- Preferred Futuring-A robust, flexible process for planning. Integrates well with many aspect of strategic planning and visioning. 1 page overview is here (Word doc.)
- SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats) described quite well here. Though Preferred Futuring incorporates SWOT elements (featuring a different approach using Environmental Scanning), SWOT is effective for general planning for many groups.
- A sample Retreat Planning process - with a focus on creating a strategic plan is here Retreat sample flowchart (pdf).
- Meeting Agendas – PAL & PACT using the structure for meetings: PAL – Purpose, Agenda, Limit and PACT – Purpose, Agenda, Critique, Time
- People and Task – Too many meetings and projects are long on task, and short on people elements. Adding a simple “Welcome!” and “Hi, How are you?” with a sincerely managed, brief check-in on how people are doing and if there are pressing issues can help greatly with the task/people balance for both meetings and with entire projects.
- Ladder of Inference – A good theoretical model that helps capture the invisible in communication, available here. Practically, when communicating, inferences and beliefs are referenced in a nanosecond, with implications that impact communication for days, weeks, years.
Libraries and Other Tools
Other useful change tools and business libraries are below:
- The Four Room change model and possible solutions here
- UM’s Business and Finance Change Management Toolkit booklets here
- Free Non-Profit Management Library here
- Marshall Goldsmith’s Coaching Library here
- Change Wiki by Nexus for Change here
- BusinessBalls – business & org. dev. articles, exercises, templates here